2/21/2011 | By: Alex

Once Dead, Twice Shy by Kim Harrison

- SPOILERS AHEAD,MATES! -

The number one book in the Madison Avery's series (not counting number zero:D - Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper - published in the Prom Nights from Hell anthology) tells the story of a girl whose body has been stolen by the dark reapers' hot and sexy boss (with whom she's already shared a kiss) and who is now trying to destroy her soul.
Madison is the new girl at school, not really caring she isn't liked by the popular crowd who mostly consists of bullies and mean, empty-headed girls. She doesn't fit in with the other cliques either though. Most likely because dying changed her priorities a bit.
Hide from Kairos. Try not to let the black wings get you. Get body back. Make friends at school.

I've started reading the anthology out of boredom and never expected to be so hooked on it. Madison Avery and the Dim Reaper made me laugh at the witty remarks and it felt good to read something new without the overused subjects.
I mean, the girl dies in the first book and she then proceeds to steal a very powerful amulet from the very guy who kissed and killed her. What subject is better that that? Throw in some light reaper material made of Barnabas, a fallen angel who is supposed to teach Madison about the amulet she stole and claimed as her own, a human boy named Josh who first acted as a jerk but quickly reassess his opinions when he gets to really know Madison. And of course, there is Kairos, the timekeeper/Madison's killer/boss of the dark reapers who wants Madison dead for reasons that keep you reading until the end of the book (don't worry, those reasons aren't used as a cliffhanger for the next book). Chronos, the leader of the light reapers, also named Ron (which makes me think of Harry Potter's sidekick) plays a big role in the story as well since he keeps Madison's situation from reaching the higher ups (seraphs) ears. Another important character, from my opinion anyway, is Nakita, a dark reaper, older than time, who ends the story with a bang (I really hadn't expected her to do what she did).
All in all, the story was amazing and the heroine's style unforgettable and I can't wait to read the next book, Early to Death, Early to Rise.

Here's one of my favourite parts in the Once Dead, Twice Shy book:

I stared at my amulet. It was beautiful, the black stone glinting with tiny silver lights at its
center like stars. I couldn’t look at the seraph’s face, it hurt so much, but I felt like it was
smiling at me. “Madison, fate—not choice—sent Kairos to kill you. Fate gave you
courage to claim his amulet. Fate caused Chronos to hide you from us. It has been fate
that angled a hundred moments to bring you here. And yet, you have to choose to accept
your place or return as you were.”
Still I hesitated from going back. “Which would you choose?” I asked. “If you could.”
The seraph laughed. “Neither, I am me. Choice? Fate? They are the same. I cannot see
the difference. It is why only a human can twist time to his or her will. When you fly high
enough, seeing around the corners of time is not a problem, but it makes separating the
future and the past difficult.”

 You can also get more info about this series at the author's website: www.kimharrison.net

This is a link to this book that I found on the internet:  


This blog will not host anything but I will provide readers with links to books. I recommend you buy the book in order to support the author.

0 comments: