2/29/2012 | By: Alex

The Historian

I finished yesterday "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova, a huge book that took me awhile to read, not because it was boring but because it was very long.
The story is a mix of letters from several persons, postcard messages and stories within the main story of events that happened before the present day. However, what I liked best was that it wasn't an ordinary book, the letters and postcards and everything else being so well integrated into the story that I was always under the impression it was a single, uninterrupted event.
The characters are strong and well-defined, passionate and loyal.
History of Vlad Tepes and folklore of Dracula are blended in this book, creating a story that spans ages, from the time when Tepes ruled, after his death and to the present day when mysterious books, empty save for the dragon illustration in the middle, start appearing on the desks of promising historians. The mystery of the books is followed through the entire book by said people and information is gathered separately by all throughout the years. It takes a young man from Oxford in search of his mentor to put together the pieces and solve the puzzle.
I honestly first picked up the book because on the back cover it said something about Dracula. I love vampire books, movies, everything to do with them. And although in most cases I'm disappointed of the stories, this was not the case. The author herself, said at the end of the book that she didn't plan on having more than a cup of blood spilled in her book. I think she managed that. She created a plot that keeps the reader in suspense, gives him a love story, mystery and most of all, makes his imagination recreate the bloody scenes in the book (and here I mean the ones described as the crimes of  Tepes).
 I recommend this book not only to those who like vampire stories but to anyone who like stories!

0 comments: